Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Journal entry from Rachel Erickson

This is my first year on the Jamaica mission trip, and I think it would be appropriate for me to start my thoughts off with this snip-it out of my Jamaica journal that I wrote on my first night here: "During devotional this evening, Sarah said to those of us who have never been on this trip before - 'This trip WILL change you, and you'll never be the same.' Those words and the way she said them were very profound to me, and I think that's mostly because that's what I've been afraid to face about this trip. I know I can't go on living the way I've been (doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results - the definition of insanity, right?) but it was nonetheless comfortable and mostly enjoyable, and it's going to be hard to change that, especially once I get back home. Relationships with people I love and care for deeply will change. Some may be for the better, and some may not. I know that with God I can move along either way, but it'll still be new and difficult.' Well this trip has certainly had its impact on me already. I have a whole new appreciation for the life I live. Most people in Jamaica have it SO hard compared to most of us in America. The lush, green, gorgeous residential areas are mainly spotted with shacks, and the people we've encountered mainly only have a few changes of clothes and one pair of shoes. We've seen many people bathing in rivers, and most don't have much in the way of plumbing or air conditioning. The society is very rude, selfish, and immoral, and many young and old people feel entitled to handouts from those that are evidently more fortunate. That being said, the fact that this is such a negative society makes the individuals that choose to live according to God's Word that much more incredible. We've met quite a few very positive people that thank and praise God for what we'd consider in America to be very little. There is a family of ladies that is very close to those in our group who come regularly, and if asked how they are they constantly have a positive response, one girl will usually say how blessed she is, and they never ask for anything from us. There is a very sweet, Godly man here named Mahlon whom I will get to meet on Friday. He fell off a ladder and became a quadriplegic at the prime of his life, yet when you talk to him he goes on about how good God has been to him when he could understandably be depressed or bitter about his physical state. I see so many here that are hungry for a better life, and it's so amazing seeing some of them turning to people in our group asking for Bible studies, and others being restored to where they were previously in their walk with God. Yesterday evening an older girl actually asked me a Biblical question, and I still can't find the words to describe how it made me feel that she counted me amongst these Godly, learned people that I came here with. She and many other children and adults I've talked to have taught me to see how minor the troubles are that I've been hanging on to and just open my eyes to how blessed I am, and they've given me the desire to lead a more Godly life and become more familiar with the Bible, because I could be unaware of who may be looking to me as an example or a guide. I'm so looking forward to everything else God has in store for me here! Those of you reading this, I request your prayers for the many people fighting to live a decent life here, for the success and safety of the rest of our trip, and for me when I return that I become more of a living example of God's word.

2 comments:

  1. Rachel your post really touched me and brought back feelings from my first trip there. It will change you forever and I will continue to pray for you and hope I can encourage you when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great words Rachel. You have our prayers, and you ARE a good example! --JP

    ReplyDelete