Monday, July 16, 2012

A note from Liz - DAY 9

Saturday has been the quietest day yet-- lots of sleeping for sure, several of us enjoyed a day at the beach, doing laundry, some leaving today and some of us leaving tomorrow. I am leaving tomorrow as well as the Stones & Esther. It's definitely bittersweet to be leaving; bonding with new people and seeing old friends, making both relationships stronger. I have been blessed with the people God has brought into my life. This is my third year in Jamaica and I have to say I wouldn't miss it for the world. Connecting with the kids is one of the most incredible feelings ever, especially when they remember you from the two years before - it's overwhelming. Just seeing the joy on these kids faces brought tears to my eyes. It's what they look forward to all year and it's what I look forward to all year, too. I am ashamed that I'm not content with all the things God has blessed me with. I am so blessed with everything that God has given me: wonderful loving parents, food, shelter, water, clothes, cell phones, computers. I have been blessed - we all have. So, when you find yourself complaining about something you don't have or something you want, just remember this, you are far more blessed than those in Jamaica. Mahlon (the quadriplegic) said last year, "I have nothing to complain about, God has blessed me." He can not walk, and here we are complaining about eating too much burger king or KFC or sleeping to many people to a bed. Be thankful you have a place to sleep, you have food, water, shelter, air conditioner. I find myself getting more and more content each year with the things I have. This trip will change you on the way you look on things back home, I try each morning when I say my prayer to just say thank you, Lord. The children here: some of them are very tough and very hard to get to know, but once you make that connection with them, you can ask them anything you want. This past year I feel like I've renewed old friendships and made new ones that will last a lifetime - especially with Troy. (Troy is one of the teenage boys who just has a wonderful heart, he's just always been that good kid, he's such an encouragement to me.) I tried my absolute hardest to just talk with all of the kids, getting to know them, because I want to be a role model for them. I try my hardest to be a good example for these kids, I want to make a difference in their lives. Knowing that my attitude and my actions could change these children's lives is absolutely overwhelming. I am going to just say thank you to those of you who have supported me and prayed for me,and thanks to Kollin and Leslea for being my 'mom and dad' once a year. A special thank you to my parents for allowing me to go and being supportive in it too, and also Russ who told me about this trip. This trip has forever changed me and no matter how many times I've been, it always in some way has changed me in a wonderful way.

No comments:

Post a Comment