Sunday, July 8, 2012

A note from Gordon - DAY 2

Hey everyone, this is one of the rookies, Gordon from Arkansas. We had an amazing day. After a fine breakfast at the hotel, we loaded up into the vans to go out into the communities to make contacts & let everyone know that Vacation Bible School will be held starting Monday morning at 10am, and in the evenings at 7pm. I knew that we were coming to a third world country, but I was not totally prepared to see the standard of living. It is a humbling experience to see this first hand. The vast majority of Jamaicans live in what we would call real poverty. Wow, we as Americans have so much to be thankful for. I am ashamed that I am not more content with what God has blessed me with, but I will strive to do better. On our way back to the hotel we stopped at the business where chairs and tables can be rented. While Burt was talking to the manager I had the opportunity to visit with the receptionist. Her name was Chamile and she is 17 years old. She has one year of high school left and then hopes to go to nursing school. She is one of five children. I asked if she lived with her parents - she said she lived with her mother, and that her father had left when she was very young. She said that in Jamaica most men choose to leave rather than stay with their families. I asked why she thought this was the case and she said she didn't know - then asked if I knew. I told her that I thought it was because men weren't following what the Bible said. The Bible tells a man that he is to take care of his wife and children. She agreed. I then asked her if she knew where her father was, and she replied 'no'. She did say that she sees him sometimes in the streets and he will say hello but doesn't really talk to her. She seemed sad about it. I told her it is good to read our Bibles everyday to know how to live properly and in a way that is pleasing to God. I asked if she had a Bible, and she said yes and that she carried it with her all the time. I asked her if she went to church anywhere and she told me that she was a Seventh Day Adventist. I told her about the morning VBS and evening services and invited her to come along. She works during the day but said she hoped to come to an evening class. She seemed like a really sweet young lady who was trying to do the right thing, and was interested in spiritual things. Please be prayerful that this young lady and others like her will be receptive to the Truth, and will seek it diligently. Please also be prayerful for the team here, that God will grant us safety as we work. Have a blessed day!! -Gordon

1 comment:

  1. Hi Everyone! Thinking of all of you during these next two weeks. Give my love to Renay and Jude and Sabrina, if you see them. Missing all of you terribly.

    Love,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete