Monday, July 9, 2012

1st Day of VBS in Sav -S. Harden - DAY 4

Today was the 1st day of VBS. When I decided to make this my 1st year to Jamaica, I had planned on taking a 'light' approach and just being a background helper. When you have 'teacher' listed as your occupation, that's not likely to happen. Not only that, but I was left to do the 1st day with the kids! To say I was nervous would be an understatement. I felt ill-equipped to handle up to 75 students in our primary class (ages 5-8). Luckily, things went smothly! My tricks that I use in my classroom came in handy and I saw many similarities to my American kids back home. They were eager to learn, help, and get attention. We only ended up with 20-30 kids since it's the first day and I still don't know the Jamaican songs -- but the kids were ready and willing to teach us! I was so blessed to have the chance to teach these kids about LOVE! I feel like love is the most challenging trait to master, understand, and give in a consistent way. Love is also the greatest command God gives us - to love the Lord (Matt. 22:37) and to love our neighbors (Matt 22:39). So today, I hope we taught these children through class time and our personal actions the love of God. -Shannon Harden

1 comment:

  1. Your posts are really encouraging! Praying for everyone there--Americans and Jamaicans!
    In Him,
    Lindsay Andrews

    ReplyDelete