Thursday, July 14, 2011

VBS-Day 3

Wednesday, July 14th
Written by Sarah Coffey, Concord, NC
I'm writing to you all today with tears filling my eyes. Mr. Tant just lead a wonderful devo that ended our night with very humble hearts. I couldn't help but think of all of my blessings. I can't think of a time I have ever gone a night without access to a shower or some source of food. The kids here would only dream of just 5 minutes in a shower or a house that doesn't leak when it rains.

Most of us have never been alone in this world. The people here have no one. When I say the people here have no one, I mean the people here have no Godly example in their every day life. They see no good. They don't even see the simple things we see in life like holding the door open for someone or doing someone a favor without requiring something in return. But more importantly, these people don't know Jesus. It really hit me today that these kids need us, they need the Word.

We studied Elijah today at VBS. We held 125 at the Cave this morning and 33 at Grange Hill. It poured right before VBS at G. Hill which really seems to discourage Jamaicans from leaving their front porch. We talked about the great faith Elijah had in God even though he stood alone, and we made an alter set ablaze by fire as our craft.

During our time at the Cave I tried to help take some of the stress off of the nursery crew by taking a child outside because the pitch of her cry distracted our Bible class. I held her and tried to get her to calm down so I sang, ''Greatest Commands.'' This moment solidified my reason for being here. I am here to help these people come to know our Father.

2 comments:

  1. Greetings to the Christians in Jamaica. May God bless you in your work in Jamaica. Glad everyone arrived safely. Special greetings to Esther, Amy, and Sarah. Know your being thought of each day. Love, Rachel Goble

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear Sarah - Thank you for making us all a part of this work! My heart is full of praise as I read the accounts you are sending, also with no small admiration for you and your team. Lifting Him high is the reason for everything we say and do!

    Bonnie D

    ReplyDelete